Non-Immigrant Visas

In the US, non-immigrant visas are given to foreign nationals who need to stay within the United States temporarily. Immigrant visas, on the other hand, are for more permanent stays in the United States. At Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC, our lawyers have successfully handled tens of thousands of immigration cases. We know how to get you through your visa issues. We have offices conveniently located in Cleveland, New York City, Columbus, Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville, Los Angeles and Raleigh.

Types of US Non-Immigrant Visas

Any foreign national traveling to the United States should have three documents on hand during the duration of his or her stay:

  1. A passport issued by his home country
  2. An entry visa stamped on the passport (the new ones are machine readable and computer stamped; the old ones are hand-stamped)

The type of US non-immigrant visa is stamped on the passport and written in the upper right-hand corner of the I-94.

The different classifications include a wide range of student visas and temporary workers visas:

  • A-1 Visa: Ambassador, public minister, career diplomatic or consular officer, member of the immediate family.
  • A-2 Visa: Other foreign government official or employee, immediate family members.
  • A-3 Visa: Attendant, servant, or personal employee of A-1or A-2 & members of immediate family.
  • B-1(See also H1B / B-1 in Lieu of H-1B) Visas: Temporary visitor for business.
  • B-2 Visa:  Temporary visitor for pleasure.
  • B-1/B-2 Visa: Temporary visitor for business and pleasure.
  • C-1/D Visa:  Combined Transit and Crewman Visa.
  • E-1 Visa: Treaty Trader, spouse and children.
  • E-2 Visa: Treaty Investor, spouse and children.
  • F-1 Visa: Student (academic or language training program).
  • F-2 Visa: Spouse and Children of F-1.
  • G-1 Visa:Principal resident representative of recognized government to international organization (& immediate family).
  • G-2 Visa: Same as G-1 for other than principal representative.
  • G-3 Visa:Same as G-1 or G-2 for non-recognized government.
  • G-4 Visa: International organization officer or employee and members of immediate family
  • G-5 Visa: Attendant, servant, or personal employee of G1 through G-4 Classes
  • H-1A Visa: Registered nurse
  • H-1B (See also H1B / B-1 in Lieu of H-1B) Visa: Alien in specialty occupation (profession)
  • H-2A Visa: Agricultural worker performing agricultural services unavailable in the United States
  • H-2B Visa: Agricultural worker performing other services unavailable in the United States
  • H-3 Who Can Use This Visa: Trainee
  • H-4 Visa: Spouse and child of H-1, 2 or 3
  • I Visa: Representative of foreign informational media, spouse and children
  • J-1 (See also J1 Waivers) Visa: Exchange visitor
  • J-2 Visa: Spouse or child of J-1.
  • K-1 Visa: Fiancé of U.S. citizen.
  • K-2 Visa: Children of K-1 alien.
  • L-1 Visa: Intra-company transferee.
  • L-2 Visa: Spouse or children of L-1.
  • M-1 Visa: Student (vocational or other recognized non-academic)
  • M-2 Visa: Spouse or children of M-1
  • NATO-1 Visa: Principal permanent representative of member states to NATO & official staff, plus immediate families
  • NATO-2 Visa: Other representatives of members states to NATO, plus immediate families.
  • NATO-3 Visa: Official clerical staff accompanying NATO-1 and 2 holders, plus immediate families.
  • NATO-4 Visa: NATO officials and immediate families not eligible for NATO-1 visas, plus immediate families.
  • NATO-5 Visa: Experts not eligible for NATO-4 status, plus dependents.
  • NATO-6 Visa: Civilian component members accompanying NATO force or employed by allied headquarters, plus dependents.
  • NATO-7 Visa: Attendant, servant, or personal employee of NATO-1 through 6 alien and immediate family members.
  • O-1 Visa: Aliens of extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics.
  • O-2 Visa: Accompanying alien.
  • O-3 Visa: Spouse or child of O-1 or O-2.
  • P-1 Visa: Internationally recognized athletes or members of internationally recognized entertainment group.
  • P-2 Visa: Artist or entertainer in reciprocal exchange program.
  • P-3 Visa: Artist or entertainer in culturally unique program.
  • P-4 Visa: Spouse or child of P-1, 2, or 3.
  • Q Visa: Participant in international cultural exchange program.
  • R-1 Visa: Alien in a religious occupation.
  • R-2 Visa: Spouse or child of R-1.
  • S-5 Visa: Certain aliens supplying critical information relating to a criminal organization or enterprise.
  • S-6 Visa: Certain aliens supplying critical information relating to terrorism.
  • S-7 Visa: Qualified family member of S-5 or S-6.
  • T Visa: For individuals who are present in the U.S., American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands as the result of trafficking..
  • U Visa: Victims of certain crimes.
  • V Visa: V visa is for spouses and children of green card holders who have been waiting at least three years to immigrate permanently to the U.S. and whose I-130 petitions were filed on or before December 21, 2000, the date of the enactment of LIFE.
  • Traveling on a “Visa Waiver”: Because of reciprocity arrangements with the United States, nationals from these countries do not need to apply for a visa at the American Consulate for up to a maximum of 90 days stay in the United States.