What is the grace period if you’re an immigrant who gets fired? 

Most American workers can be fired at absolutely any time and without warning. They do not have very many rights in relation to retaining their job or even getting notice before being fired unless they have a contract stating otherwise.

For workers who are immigrants, this can present something of a problem. If you have come to the U.S. on an employment visa that was sponsored by your employer, losing your job is about more than simply losing your income and having to search for a new job. You may also be worried that you’re now going to be deported because you’re in violation of your visa.

The good news is that there is a grace period. You will not be deported immediately or forced to leave the country, and you do have a chance to search for a new job.

You get two months

You essentially get two months, with a grace period of 60 days after you’ve lost your job. If you can find another job to satisfy the requirements of the visa, then you don’t have to worry about deportation. If you cannot, then you may have to consider other options, such as potentially seeking ways to change your status.

For instance, if you’ve gotten married to an American citizen since you came to the country, you may be able to apply for a green card on those grounds. This would also allow you to stay in the U.S. under the new conditions of that green card.

Overall, it’s just important to know what options you have so that you can protect your future and your status within the country. When things get complicated, you must know what steps to take.

Get Started with a

Schedule a consultation and review your immigration case with one of our experienced attorneys.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Due to heavy demand, please note that, should you wish to proceed with an attorney consultation, these are by appointment only and cost $400.
Privacy Policy