Work Permits, Social Security Numbers, and Taxes

Most immigrants in the United States want to be able to work here legally; there are many different paths to achieve this goal. Also, just like everyone else, it is very important that immigrants file taxes. They can use a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

What are the different types of Work Permits?

There are dozens of different ways to get a work permit; you have to do it based on another application. Some of the most popular types are linked to pending or approved Asylum applications, 10-year cancellation, pending Green Cards, U-Visas, and DACA. We will be doing more videos on these topics in the coming months so be sure to check back. You should consult with an immigration attorney to find out which categories you may be eligible for.

I’m already working without a Work Permit, why do I need one?

It is important to have a permit to work; without it, you or your employer could be in trouble. It can also allow you to get a driver’s license or Social Security Number.

What is a Social Security Number?

It is an important, unique 9-digit number used for identification, filing taxes, and social security benefits.

How can I get a Social Security Number?

Once you have a Work Permit or U.S. Passport, it is very simple to get a Social Security Number; you can go to your local Social Security Office with and fill out a small form. Your card will then be sent to you in the mail.

What is an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) and how do I get one?

You can file a W-7 form to get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; you can use this to file your taxes even if you do not have a Social Security Number.

If I do not have a Social Security Number, do I still have to file taxes? Why is it so important to file taxes for immigration?

Even if you do not have a Social Security Number, you can still file for taxes using an ITIN Number. For immigrants, it is very important to file taxes a variety of reasons. For example, you can use to to show continuous presence in the United States for each year that you file them. Or, if you have a marriage case, filing taxes jointly can help prove that it’s a bona fide marriage.

Get Started with a

Schedule a consultation and review your immigration case with one of our experienced attorneys.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Due to heavy demand, please note that, should you wish to proceed with an attorney consultation, these are by appointment only and cost $400.
Privacy Policy