Does a criminal record affect my immigration?

In this Immigration Explained video we meet Attorney Richard Drucker and he discusses how a criminal record might impact your immigration process.

If I have been convicted of a crime in my country can I obtain a Visa or Green Card for the United States?

Depends on the type of crime. Minor crime, then no you can still obtain a Green Card. A crime that is a felony, involving drugs or you served over 1 year in prison, then no you are likely not able to obtain.

If I have been convicted of a crime in the U.S. can, I still get a Green Card?

Again, depends on crime. Petty offensives are not normally a barrier to obtain your Green Card.

Are there any types of criminal convictions that I cannot receive a green card?

If you commit a moral turpitude within 5 years you can be put in deportation proceedings or commit 1 aggravated felony.

How would having a Drunk Driving Conviction (DUI) impact my ability to become a legal permanent resident or a US Citizen?

An OVI conviction is not considered a criminal conviction it is a driving conviction. It should not impact your status of becoming a US Citizen.

Is there a way to have the crime removed from my record?

Most states have a way to expunge your record and have them sealed.

Get Started with a

Schedule a consultation and review your immigration case with one of our experienced attorneys.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form. Due to heavy demand, please note that, should you wish to proceed with an attorney consultation, these are by appointment only and cost $400.
Privacy Policy