Green Cards: Permanent Residency

Green cards, or permanent residence cards, are among the most sought-after documents in the field of permanent immigration to the United States. There are many different ways that immigrants can try to get a green card; the attorneys of Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC can work closely with you to find a course of action that will get you what you need.

Family-Based US Green Card Applications

Many of the family-based methods for gaining permanent residency are well-known. You can get a Green Card by marrying or a U.S. citizen or, if you are less than 16 years old, by being adopted. If a family member is a U.S. citizen, he or she can sponsor your permanent residency. But these cases are not always simple; on our Success Stories: Marriage to a U.S. Citizen page, we have listed a few challenging cases successfully handled by our skilled lawyers.

Employment-Based US Green Card Applications

There are many ways to file a US green card application through your employment. Just a few are:

  • Labor Certification / PERM: The labor certification program has been discontinued; now the government uses the PERM system. The PERM system requires employers to advertise the job to Americans and show why it can be filled only by a foreign national. It is a long, involved process, taking around 18 months in Ohio, but often results in a Green Card.
  • National Interest Waiver: A national interest waiver will enable you to bypass the lengthy PERM process entirely and get you a Green Card. But your attorneys must demonstrate that giving you permanent residency will serve to improve the United States in some readily apparent way. An advanced degree, such as a Master’s degree or its equivalent, is typically required.

Other Options

If you have been persecuted in your home country, or have reason to think that returning will subject you to persecution, you could qualify for asylum and a Green Card. You can also get permanent residency through the Green Card Lottery, in which every year the federal government makes 55,000 Green Cards available to people who qualify.

Contact Us

The many different types of USA visa requirements and green card applications can be confusing; contact our attorneys or call (216) 566-9908 anytime.

Recent Posts

Scroll to Top