Margaret W. Wong & Associates
Family Visas In New York City For Families
Legal advice you can trust for family-based immigration inquiries
When you are seeking to unite your family in the United States, Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC delivers the accurate information and dedicated legal service that you need.
Built on generations of immigrants and their families, the United States is well known as a “nation of immigrants,” a concept popularized by former President John F. Kennedy in 1963. In New York, approximately 140,000 immigrants earn status as permanent residents each year. New York City is well known for welcoming immigrants and refugees alike.
Several types of visa processes support family immigration to New York City, including:
- Fiancé visas: A foreign-born citizen engaged to be married to an American citizen may be eligible for a K-1 visa. Subject to requirements of the visa, your fiancé can then apply for permanent US residency. If your fiancé has children, they may qualify for a K-2 visa.
- Foreign citizen spouse: If you would like to bring your spouse, who is a foreign national, to the United States, the K-3 visa process applies. A K-4 visa is for unmarried children of the K-3 applicant who are under the age of 21.
- Students: While people who wish to study in the United States enter the country with an F-1 visa, family members may qualify for F-2 visas to accompany their loved one to our country.
- Exchange visitors: Visitors in exchange programs, like research fellows, scholars, and professors, can apply for J-1 classed visas. Spouses and unmarried children of J-1 visa holders can visit the United States with a J-2 visa.
- Employee transfer: Workers with specialized knowledge who are employed by a US-based employer may qualify to enter the United States on an L-1 visa. Like the other visa classes, spouses and unmarried children may be granted an L-2 visa.
- Treaty traders, investors, and qualified employees: The E class visa is available to treaty traders, specialized employees, foreign investors and some specialized occupational professionals from Australia. Family members can also enter the United States on E-class visa types.
More information is available about these and other visas obtainable by immigrant and non-immigrant visitors to the United States. Always work with a qualified, experienced immigration attorney in New York City to understand the information and documents needed before you apply to work or visit in the US.
Gaining a green card by marriage to a US citizen
A foreign national can gain permanent residency in the United States through marriage to an American citizen. While this may sound like a straightforward process to gain admission to the US, it can be challenging to prove the authenticity and validity of the marriage relationship. There are several steps to take before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants a green card.
Eligibility for a K-1 fiancé’ visa depends on these qualifications:
- One partner is a US citizen.
- The couple intends to marry within 90 days of arrival by the fiancé to the United States on a K-1 visa.
- Both persons are legally free to marry and unencumbered by earlier legal marriage arrangements.
- Unless granted a waiver, the parties must have met in person at least once in the two years prior to applying for a K-1 visa.
As with all visa and State department applications, your documents should be accurate and complete the first time you file. When you have questions about family-based-immigration to New York or elsewhere in the United States, speak with our attorneys for skilled representation and straightforward advice.
Knowledgeable family immigration law firm helps you in New York City
With eight decades of successful combined experience helping families and individuals create a new home in the United States, Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC is ready to help you achieve your immigration or visa goals. Call us at (216) 239-0055 or contact us today.
MARGARET W. WONG & ASSOCIATES, LLC - NEW YORK CITY
139 Centre Street PH112,
New York, NY 10013
Margaret W. Wong & Associates – New York Immigration Lawyers
Full Service Immigration Law Firm With Over 80 Years of Experience