We are New York

New York Law Firm Delivers Experienced Legal Representation on Citizenship and Naturalization

Trusted New York City attorneys help you complete the citizenship process

Naturalized citizenship in the United States is the goal of many foreign-born immigrants who have achieved permanent residency in this country.  At the New York City law firm of Margaret W. Wong & Associates LLC, we provide committed, knowledgeable legal service to help you achieve US citizenship through naturalization.

While holding a green card allows you to live and work in the United States, a green card is conditional.  Under certain circumstances or events, you may lose your green card status and be deported. Citizenship through the naturalization process frees you from that conditional status, and gives you full US citizenship.

Are you eligible for naturalization in New York City?

In the United States, you may be eligible for the naturalization process under the following circumstances:

  • Permanent resident: If you have been a permanent resident of the United States for five years, you may qualify for naturalization.  Among other eligibility requirements, you must be at least 18 years of age, have lived continuously in the US for a period of time, and have the ability to read, write, and speak English as well as exhibit knowledge of US history and government.
  • Spouse of a US citizen:  If you have been a permanent resident and spouse of a US citizen for three or more years, you may qualify for naturalization.  Eligibility requirements include living in marriage with a US citizen during the three years prior to filing, continuous residency for a period of time, and knowledge of the United States and its government, including the ability to speak, read, and write English.
  • Members of the military:  If you are a member of the US armed forces, and meet all other eligibility requirements, you may become qualified for naturalization.
  • Children:  Children of US citizens who are born outside of the United States may be eligible for naturalization.  Citizenship is automatically acquired when a child is born abroad to US citizens.
  • Asylum:  If you have obtained permanent residency in the United States through asylum, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization.
  • Derivative citizenship:  Under certain circumstances, you may be able to apply for the naturalization process by other means.  These avenues toward naturalization are generally for children of US citizens who are born and may live abroad. The formula for derivative citizenship relies on several factors and can be a challenging naturalization process.

What happens during naturalization?

When you have passed the eligibility requirements for naturalization, you may choose to participate in a Naturalization Ceremony to swear an oath of allegiance during a formal US District court proceeding.  Many immigrants look forward to their official welcome as citizens of the United States.  For our immigration attorneys, it is always rewarding when our clients or their family members become American citizens.

The path toward permanent residency is challenging, and the naturalization process can be, too. If you have a green card and are considering the naturalization process, talk to our attorneys about your case.  We help ensure your documentation is presented accurately to avoid any delay in your application.

Highly experienced immigration law firm serving New York City

Count on the legal team at Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC to help you navigate the naturalization process in the United States. Our founder, Margaret W. Wong, is the author of The Immigrant’s Way, a helpful book on the challenges and successes of immigrants to the U.S. When you need trusted help with immigration or a non-immigrant visa—contact us today at (216) 566-9908.

Recent Posts

Scroll to Top