Legal Representation on Permanent Residency in the United States

Experienced New York City attorneys help you with your green card application

Permanent residency is the goal of foreign-born citizens who wish to immigrate and live in the United States. A green card is the document that identifies an immigrant has gained permanent resident status in the U.S. Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC can help you and your family travel the path toward permanent residency and gain your green card.

With offices in New York City and eight other locations in the US, our law firm has more than 200 years combined experience helping thousands of individuals and families successfully complete the process of obtaining a green card. 

Called a “green card” because the cards used to be the color green, an application for permanent residency can become complicated and take time.  If you are considering applying for a green card to live in New York City or elsewhere in the country, our knowledgeable attorneys can advise you on the documents you will need – and the circumstances you must prove – before your request can be considered by US immigration authorities.

Avenues of US immigration for gaining permanent residency and your green card

There are currently several paths toward permanent residency.  The likelihood of gaining a green card depends on the circumstances of your family, your career, or the conditions in your native land.  Here are some of the processes currently available to apply for residency in the United States:

  • Family-based immigration:  According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), family-sponsored immigration is currently the leading method for gaining permanent residency in America.  Under present immigration policies, preference is given to the immediate relatives of US citizens, including spouses, unmarried children, and parents.  Priority is also currently given to siblings of US citizens and their families.  Your relationship to a US citizen determines the preference that US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will give your application. 
  • Immigrant worker: The United States currently gives preference to immigrants of special ability, high professional achievement, physicians who meet eligibility requirements, and qualified investors. Along with family-based immigration, employment is an important road toward potential permanent residence in the United States. For workers, your sponsoring employer must go through the PERM process to certify your position in the US labor force.  
  • Specialty workers:  Preference for permanent residence is currently offered to religious workers, qualified Afghan or Iraqi translators, international media personnel, NATO representatives, or children who have been abused or abandoned by their parents. 
  • Situations of abuse:  If you are the abused spouse, child, or parent of a United States permanent resident, US citizen, or Cuban citizen, your application for a green card has preference. Victims of human trafficking with a T nonimmigrant visa or a crime victim with a U nonimmigrant visa may be eligible for permanent residency as well.
  • Asylee or refugee:  If you were granted asylum or admitted as a refugee at least one year ago, you may be eligible to apply for a green card.

There are also other provisions under which foreign-born aliens may apply for permanent residence in the United States, such as a waiver granted to prove you provide services or information in the national interest of the US.

Dedicated legal service with immigration law and green card applications in New York

Ensure your application for permanent residence is filed correctly and accurately by working with our immigration legal team at the New York City office of Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC.  The details and documents needed for immigration and visa applications can be confusing. Avoid being denied or delayed due to a mistake in your documentation—contact us or call (216) 566-9908 today.


139 Centre Street PH112,
New York, NY 10013
(212) 226-7011

Recent Posts