Work Visas

The lawyers and staff of Margaret W. Wong & Associates, LLC are committed to helping both employees and employers with a wide range of immigration matters. Our attorneys have successfully helped tens of thousands of clients.

Establishing Permanent Residency through Employment

If you need to establish permanent residency (a.k.a. get a Green Card) through your employment, your employer must get you labor certification / PERM. This is a very involved process, and we recommend that you contact us immediately for help. See also our page on immigranet visas.

Temporary USA Work Visas

Many people visiting the United States on business need B-1 visas. There are many types of business related aspects that can qualify a person for a B-1 visa, ranging from speaking engagements, independent research or sports competitions. B-1 visas last five to ten years, depending on how long the visa holder’s I-94 card is valid.

H visas comprise a large class of USA work visas. Many temporary workers get H-1 visas of various kinds, such as the popular H-1B visa. H-1B visas are reserved for people in “specialty occupations,” most of which involve a high level of education along with specialized skills and knowledge.

All temporary USA work visas include:

  • A-1 Visa: Ambassador, public minister, career diplomatic or consular officer, member of the immediate family
  • C-1 Visa: transit visa enables traveling nonimmigrants to leave the airport and visit family or friends or partake in tourist or shopping ventures.
  • D Visa: Crewmen serving in good faith for normal operations aboard vessels may apply for this visa
  • E-1 VisaTreaty Trader, spouse and children
  • E-2 Visa: Treaty Investor, spouse and children
  • F-1 Visa: Student Visa for full time enrollment
  • G-1 Visa: Principal resident representative of recognized government to international organization (& immediate family)
  • H-1B Visa non immigrant temporary work visa for those with at least a baccalaureate degree. This visa is valid for 3 years and involves specialty work related to your coursework.
  • I Visa is available to media employees including reporters, freelance journalists and film crew members
  • J-1 visa is designed to provide educational and cultural exchange programs; to promote the sharing of individuals, knowledge and skills in education, arts and sciences.
  • K visas allow you to stay in the United States for 90 days to marry your fiancé and apply for permanent residency (a.k.a. a “Green Card”). K-2 visas are available for children of people who get K1 visas
  • L-1: Intra-company transferee
  • NATO-1: Principal permanent representative of member states to NATO & official staff, plus immediate families
  • O-1: Aliens of extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business or athletics (See some of our lawyers’ successes with O-1 visas.)
  • P-1: Internationally recognized athletes or members of internationally recognized entertainment group
  • Q-1 international cultural exchange program provides practical training, employment and the sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of the participant’s home country in the United States
  • R-1: Alien in a religious occupation