EB-12: Outstanding Professors and Researchers

If you’re an individual that has been recognized as an outstanding professor or researcher, whose employer is willing and able to provide sponsorship, then you may qualify as an applicant for the EB-12 category.

In order to qualify for this category, individuals must be recognized internationally as outstanding figures in a specific field of academia, as well as have at least three years of teaching or research experience in that particular field. Outstanding Professors must be tenured or on a tenure-track teaching position, while those individuals applying as an Outstanding Researcher must be in a permanent research position at a university or institution of higher education.

The following is a list of documentation that can serve as possible evidence of international or outstanding recognition, at least two are required:

    1. Receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement.
    2. Membership in an association which requires outstanding achievement.
    3. Published material in professional publications written by others about the applicant’s work.
    4. Evidence of the person’s participation as a judge of the work of others.
    5.  Evidence of original scientific research.
    6. Authorship of scholarly books or articles in the field.

Please note that when INS evaluates the evidence presented, it may consider whether the applicant published in a “vanity” press, if the individual is merely quoted in a footnote without any type of evaluation, or if the material presents negative or neutral review of the applicant’s work. If you meet the requirements listed above or are seeking consultation to whether or not you’re a qualified candidate, our team of lawyers are always available to adhere to you questions and needs.

*While no labor certification is required for this category, a written offer of employment in the form of a letter is required.