Margaret W. Wong & Associates - Immigration Lawyers
Tending to all your immigration needs

Out & About

Read. Follow. Share.

Visas for Foreign Born Talent White Paper

The federal government of the United States has created many ways for foreign born talent to study and work in the USA, both as immigrants and nonimmigrants.  There are 21 A majority of nonimmigrant workers are awarded the H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa, the L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa, or the O-1 Extraordinary Ability and Achievement Visa.

On September 9, 2015, Margaret W. Wong, Esq, spoke at the Global Cleveland Inaugural Global Employment Breakfast, at the Intercontinental Hotel on the Cleveland campus of the Cleveland Clinic. In her address, Ms. Wong address the hiring practices of organizations similar to the Cleveland Clinic, and said the Clinic likes to hire foreign born personnel who qualify for the O-1 visa, as this ensures the person is of the highest caliber, and outperform colleagues in the same discipline from day one.

The H-1B Specialty Occupation Visa, Ms. Wong said, are for those who are highly skilled, are doing what an American cannot do in teaching, engineering or medicine, but perhaps are not stellar.  The O-1 visa is for stars.  Published authors.  Actors in a great many movies.  Winners of the Oscar, the Grammy, the Emmy, or even of the Nobel Prize.  Sports stars.  Directors.  People who make a lot of money for their specialized field.  People who literally are doing what no one has done before.

Visas for Foreign Born Talent describes the three most common visas for temporary nonimmigrant workers.