Margaret W. Wong & Associates - Immigration Lawyers
Tending to all your immigration needs

Out & About

Read. Follow. Share.

How to Prepare for Obama's Immigration Action

Last Thursday, President Barack Obama announced that he was using executive action to improve our nation's immigration system. The executive action will expand DACA and create a similar program for parents with U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident children, called Deferred Action for Parents (DAP). The Administration and USCIS are still ironing out the details of the President's action and forms and procedures have yet to be released. Eligible applicants will most likely be able to begin applying for relief in January 2015 and cases will hopefully be processed by the spring. While you can't apply for DAP now, you can prepare. Here are some ways you can get ready. 1. Contact Margaret W. Wong & Associates to consult with an attorney to see if you qualify 2. Get proof of who you are

  • Passport from your home country
  • Birth Certificate
  • Government Issued ID

3. Gather documents to prove your relationship to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident

  • Birth Certificates
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Child's naturalization certificate or green card

4. Gather documents that prove continuous physical residence in the United States for the last 5 years. President Obama announced that DAP will only apply to unauthorized immigrants who have lived in the United States since January 1, 2010.

  • School records
  • Hospital or medical records
  • Bank statements
  • Bills
  • Rent payments or lease agreement
  • Passport with admission stamp

It is never too early to start getting ready. Should you have any questions regarding your eligibility for DAP or which documents to gather, please contact Margaret W. Wong & Associates.