Who can accompany you to the U.S. if you get a work visa?

On Behalf of | Apr 7, 2023 | Immigration Explained

Most people seek career opportunities that will help them reach their highest potential and enable them to support their loved ones. Therefore, securing a work visa to the U.S. may be one of the most exciting moments in your life. 

Amidst all the excitement, you may be worried that you’ll have to leave your loved ones behind. Fortunately, you can use your work visa to help your loved ones enter the United States with you. The following are people who can accompany you if you get a work visa:

Your spouse and dependent children

If you have a work visa, your spouse and children can accompany you and even attend school in the U.S. However, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may only allow dependent children below 21 years of age to accompany you. 

For your spouse and children to accompany you, they will have to apply for H-4 visas, but only after you have received your work visa. During the application process, they will be required to present the following documents:

  • Photo and ID verification
  • A valid passport
  • A copy of your work visa approval notice
  • Documents proving your relationship: marriage certificate or birth certificate 
  • A fully finalized and signed nonimmigrant visa application

Can your spouse work with an H-4 visa?

Unfortunately, your partner can only accompany you and attend school but cannot legally work in the U.S. However, they may be able to only apply for work if you are applying for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) status. 

Providing for your family might be the main factor inspiring your career efforts. However, if you plan to enter the country on a work visa, seeking legal guidance may help you maintain your close family relations and protect your career.