Common employment visa options

On Behalf of | Dec 6, 2022 | Immigration Explained

If you want to enter the U.S. to pursue professional goals, seeking a non-immigrant or temporary employment visa is a smart option. Workers in several professions and with different backgrounds can potentially enter the U.S. via a business or job opportunity. 

Once you have the employment visa, it may be possible for your spouse and unmarried children who are under the age of 21 to travel with you. If you want to move to the U.S. for work, it is important to consider what employment visa program best suits your needs. 

E visa program

The E visa program applies mainly to those who work in the investment or trade industries. If you live in a country with an active trade treaty with the U.S. and need to come for business purposes, you may qualify for this visa. 

H visa program

The H visa program is likely the right option if you are an experienced, highly skilled or highly educated worker. You must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, conduct specialized research or work in a high-demand occupation to qualify for a job domestically or training via the H visa program. 

L-1 visa

If you work for an international program, the L-1 visa program allows you to accept a job at a U.S.-based company office. You can also use this visa to travel to the U.S. to establish operations for the company in the U.S. 

Other career visa options

Visa programs are available for people working in specific industries, too. For example, P visas are available for those in the arts and entertainment industry and athletes. Those with extraordinary skills can seek o visas. 

Working in the U.S.

As you can see, there are multiple employment-based visa programs you may be able to utilize to come to the U.S. Knowing your legal options and rights will help you with this process.