What happens if you have an H-1B visa and lose your job?

On Behalf of | Oct 5, 2022 | Immigration Explained

As an educated and experienced professional, you have skills that could help you enter the United States. Your abilities could either help you secure a job with a domestic company or arrange for a transfer to a location in the United States while still working for the same company that currently employs you.

When you enter the country on a non-immigrant work visa, like an H-1B visa, you and your immediate family can stay in the country for several years, possibly longer if you renew your visas.

What if you lose your job unexpectedly after entering the United States?

There is a grace period for workers who lose their jobs

The whole point of employment immigration is to bring the best talent to the United States. Your education or skills don’t just make you a valuable employee for the company that brought you to the United States. There could be many other companies also in need of your skill set.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recognizes the demand for skilled and educated professionals. You have a grace period in which you can look for a different job in the united states. Provided you secure another employment opportunity within 60 days of losing the job related to your visa, you won’t have to worry about your removal from the country.

Workers may also be able to qualify for other immigration opportunities after a job loss, especially if they have been in the United States for years. Learning about the rules that apply to employment-based immigration will benefit those hoping to enter the country for employment purposes.