Mexican son receives a Green Card through Step-Father

Married mom seeks asylum as son receives Green Card

After being married to her US citizen husband for two months, a Mexican woman came to our firm to inquire about legalizing her status. Before her marriage, our client entered the United States in 2001 with her son. Because the mother had been in the United States for over ten years, we found she was eligible for 10-year cancellation, and we filed our client’s I-589 form for asylum as well as her son’s I-130 form (petition for alien relative). 

Step-father becomes son’s sponsor

The step-father served as the son’s sponsor, allowing us to file for the son’s legal permanent residency. Due to the son’s travel plans to Mexico on advanced parole, we waited to file for permanent residency, upon his return. We filed the son’s I-485 (application for permanent residency), I-765 (application for work authorization), and I-131 (application for advance parole and travel documentation). We filed an I-765 and I-131 one for the mother, but we are waiting to hear the decision, in the meantime her son’s I-765 and I-131 were approved, allowing him to work and travel. Our greatest success in this family’s story is that our client’s son was approved for permanent residency and earned his Green Card.

Check out more Green Card Success Stories 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *